2019-2020 SCHOOL CHOICE IS NOW CLOSED
The Narragansett Regional School District offers full-day Kindergarten through Grade 12 students an extensive academic and extracurricular curriculum to provide a positive and enriching environment that bridges traditional values with a vision of the future.
The following local conditions apply to the School Choice program at NRSD:
- That by May 1 of every school year, the administration will determine the number of spaces in each school available to choice students.
- That by June 1 of every school year, if consideration is being given to withdraw from the provisions of the choice law, a public meeting will be held to review this decision.
- That resident students be given priority placement in any classes or programs within the District.
- That the selection of non-resident students for admission be in the form of a random drawing when the number of requests exceeds the number of available spaces. There will be two drawings for this purpose. The first will take place during the last week of the current school year but no later than July 1st. The second will be conducted during the week immediately preceding the opening of the next school year and will be based on the possibility of unexpected additional openings.
- Any student who is accepted for admission under the provisions of this policy is entitled to remain in the District until graduation from high school except if there is a lack of funding of the program.
- The School Committee affirms its position that it shall not discriminate in the admission of any child on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, ancestry, athletic performance, physical handicap, special need, academic performance or proficiency in the English language.
* Please note that transportation is not provided for school choice students; parents/guardians are responsible for getting their children to and from school.
For more information, please contact Susan Varney in the NRSD Central Office at 978-939-5661 or Email Here
In April 2019 the MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education released the following advisory regarding School Choice participation: